10 Text Editor Tools that can Significantly Improve Your Writing Skills
Writing is a creative process, which means that you do not only combine words and post the finished product online. You should ensure that your content is engaging, informative, and attention-grabbing. It may seem like a difficult thing to do, but you can easily overcome that problem by using editing and proofreading tools.
Related: Tips for Writing a Thesis
Let’s have a look at some of the best proofreading platforms using which you can come up with the best content.
- Grammarly:The best proofreading tool that will help you significantly boost your writing skills. It is touted as one of the best online grammar checkers because it is capable of quickly fixing spelling, grammar, and punctuation mistakes. You have the option of uploading a copy of your written text on its online platform or utilizing Grammarly’s browser extension to proofread your emails and social media posts. The extension is compatible with popular web browsers, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Firefox. Grammarly’s premium version also offers plagiarism detection and vocabulary enhancement functionality.
- WhiteSmoke: Another grammar checking tool that can run on mobile or desktop devices. The platform is being continually improved to include features aimed at enhancing user experience. WhiteSmoke utilizes the Natural Language Processing technology that analyzes texts using algorithms and artificial intelligence. Consequently, it is highly efficient at detecting writing errors and suggesting alternative words and phrases. The tool offers its users several options based on their unique needs and can easily integrate with popular word processing software for Windows and MacOS. Besides, if you need help with your written assignments, it will enhance your grammar, spelling, writing style, and punctuation.
- Ginger: Ginger is another useful tool for checking your grammar online or offline. It has numerous features that can significantly improve your writing skills, especially if English is not your first language. You can choose between three options: a free version, a basic version with a monthly or annual fee, and a premium one requiring you to pay a one-time fee. The one aspect that makes Ginger a favorite with many custom writers is its ability to integrate with MS Word, which means that you do not have to upload or copy-paste a document online. The tool supports American and British English and detects most errors that ordinary word processing software such as MS Word cannot.
- Hemingway: Being an online text editor, Hemingway can boost your writing skills by checking your content for grammar and spelling mistakes. It is not only a grammar checker but also a style validator, designed to improve the readability of your content by suggesting corrections. The online platform has a clean layout that will allow you to quickly evaluate your content, which is especially useful when you deal with projects with short deadlines. You pay for a subscription-based desktop application and use it on a computer running either Windows or Mac OS.
- Textly.ai: Suitable for various levels of writing, the tool is an AI-based writing assistant which can help you deliver mistake-free content. With a huge database of common typos, it can ensure that your texts are devoid of any grammatical errors. It also monitors your writing habits and generates context-based rules, thus helping you address issues connected to poor sentence structure and redundancy.
- LanguageTool: This online grammar checker can be used with multiple languages. As a first-time user, you can try its limited-time online grammar checker. Although the proofreading tool does not have a lot of features, most users claim that its grammar checking ability is unrivaled. According to them, it can detect more mistakes than the majority of other online editing tools. Depending on your writing needs, you can download one of its three versions.
- Reverso: This grammar checking solution was developed mainly to perform accurate contextual translations. It can help you boost your vocabulary by providing you with translations in various languages such as English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Russian. Reverso works by indexing hundreds of millions of words and choosing the most accurate results. You can also view translations along with their definitions or conjugations. It is possible to access the platform when you are offline, so you won’t have to worry about not being able to proofread your content without a stable Internet connection.
- PaperRater: This online proofreading tool can help teachers review and correct their students’ papers. PaperRater is reasonably priced, which makes it ideal for students or new professional writers. It uses natural language processing, information retrieval, machine learning, data mining, and computational linguistics for detecting mistakes and plagiarism. The way it works can be compared to that of a human professional editor, so all you have to do is indicate your educational level and a type of paper you are writing. After that, you will get a score that corresponds to your paper’s quality, as well as recommendations on improving the reviewed document.
- ProWritingAid: This online personal writing coach can highlight punctuation, grammar, and spelling errors and suggest possible corrections. It can also improve your content by letting you know if it’s too vague/redundant or contains passive voice and complex sentences. ProWritingAid has various subscription options that range from a yearly to lifetime plan.
- OnlineCorrection.com: An online spelling and grammar checker which you can use free of charge. It’s one of the most user-friendly editing solutions which makes inputting text and accessing results a breeze. It will also help you differentiate between spelling, grammar, typing, spacing, and duplication errors by using different colors to highlight them. The tool can significantly enhance your writing skills through recommendations on vocabulary and sentence construction. OnlineCorrection.com guarantees the privacy of your content by automatically deleting it after the checks.
Related: Some tips for better academic writing
The above list contains reliable editing tools that are suitable for different levels of professional writing. Choosing one will require you to have a clear idea of your needs and their features.