Data requirements for planning a town is generally same for most of the areas. The basic requirements include the below mentioned points. The data collected helps a town planner to take decisions and plan for the requirement by people who will be living in that area.
- What are the data requirements for planning a town?
Users: Data related to people in the city, distribution of social groups, profile, age and other characteristics It includes their location, spatial distribution etc. It also includes:
- Household survey
- Sex ratio
- Employment (population characteristics, % of population scattered)
- Qualification (education profile)
- Age distribution
- Income levels etc.
Activities: Data related to activities that the people of the city are engaged in:
- The existing land use.
- Change in land use.
- Generally, the most common activities involved are:
a) Trade and Commerce. b) Traffic and Transportation. c) Recreational / Environmental space. d) Residential / Housing. e) Industrial and Manufacturing. f) Infrastructure.
- The data pertaining to circulation of town.
- It includes rail, road, water and airway methods of transport.
- Bus depot and terminals, rail terminals etc.
- Water, Sewage and Drainage Patterns.
- List of state institutes and para – institutions is prepared.
- Legal institutes are included and enumerated.
- Power and functions of different organizations.
- The data pertaining to natural and man-made resources like eco-sensitive areas, protected forests, floodable areas, dams, power plants, minerals etc.