We humans subsist in a world were triggering the environment has become our shameless convention. Air pollution is the zenith environmental curse credited to diseases liable for an estimated 16% of premature death worldwide. The reason blamed on the callous practices executed in our day to day life. The causes of outdoor air pollution can be ranked as indisputable owing to the carcinogenic component present in the aerosol or the burning of farm residues. Leading to incalculable problems and deteriorating Air Quality Index(AQI). The solution lies in the center of the problem. A giant leap to save the human race from extinction that is achievable via ‘Saving the Environment’.
What exactly is Air Pollution?
The release of detrimental gases like carbon monoxide, methane, sulfur dioxide, nitrous oxide, ammonia, and chlorofluorocarbons (CFC) into the atmosphere is termed as Air Pollution. These substances append to the escalating temperature, exceeding the natural competence of the environment to dispel them. Thereby, affecting the country’s health and economics. The adverse upshot includes eloquent asthma attacks, breathing hitch, bronchitis, pneumonia, heart diseases, etc. Causing many hitches to a person’s smooth flow of profession and edification luging him to the threshold of bereavement. Air pollution does not abide by minor troubles. Rather it has an elongated effect such as the rising of heat waves, intense weather, commotion in food production and other effects related to increased greenhouse gases, directly and indirectly, affecting human habitat.
What is the much needed Prevention?
Air pollution is a group of multifaceted schemes and elucidation to the dilemma requires multilevel intrusion. Consequently, the assembly of Environmental Health Literacy (EHL) and health literacy primarily is very crucial. As it concerns the understanding of the bond between environmental impairment and critical health issues. Almost all the living beings emanate carbon dioxide which is a form of greenhouse gas, which traps heat in the atmosphere and conducts ‘Climate change’. In the past 150 years, humans have impelled adequate CO2 and Chloro Fluoro Carbons(CFC) into the atmosphere to put a hole in the ozone layer. While other venomous gases are produced owing to manners like employing vehicles, power plant operations, the blazing of fossil fuels such as gasoline and natural fuels. The sulfur dioxide an ingredient of Smog is the cause behind Acid rain. But it is also a reflecting zone of lights in the atmosphere, preventing sunlight and the residue is the nippy air. Airborne particles can have a direct impact on the earth through depleting nutrients from the soil, drying the waterways, harming forests and crops and damaging the iconic structures ie. the historic monuments and structure.
Direct and indirect measures to reduce air pollution:
Small steps can be taken in both urban and rural areas as prevention. Have a look at them below:
- Save energy: By conserving energy in homes, educational institutions, and industries by switching unused technology, we can save energy thereby reducing pollution.
- Sharing is caring: Using carpool systems is the finest form of transportation. Or just ask a friend to drop. Fuel is one of the most important factors of polluting the air.
- Public Transportation: Use the government or private vehicles or be a fitness freak and walk or run to your desired route.
- Be energy efficient: Procure products discernible as 5 stars to save more energy.
- Environment-friendly shopping: Purchase paints and eco-friendly cleaning products for household and industrial use.
- Eco-friendly Cooking: Use induction as an alternative for chulas (mud oven) and gas ovens.
- No deodorants: say no to aerosol products and body fragrance.
- Stop burning stubble: Burning of farm leftover is precariously air contaminated which must be immediately stopped.
Present India’s Condition of Air Pollution
The recent debate on the Delhi Air Pollution is an epic example of human behavior toward the environment. The burning of stubble and the Delhi government odd-even scheme got stuck in the debates of politicians and news channels. India is ranked as the most polluted country. As per WHO, at least 140 million people breathe polluted air in India. This is caused by 51% industrial pollution,27% by Vehicles, 8% by stubble burning, and the remaining 5% by the festival firecrackers. The obtuse habits of urban and rural residents of the country are a major factor in polluted air. The kiln factories add to a lot of smoke in the atmosphere, blackening the air quality to unbreathable tendency. While elements like cigarette smoke, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), asbestos, formaldehyde, and other substances add up to indoor Air Pollution. Infecting the Air Quality thereby making it hard to inhale. Burning of coal and fuels indoor and outdoor has been concurrent with higher rates of diseases which include cancer, heart blockages, stroke, and respiratory diseases such as asthma. And India is one of the leading country suffering such quandary.
World wide scenario of Air pollution:
There are many ways by which other countries are well-handling air pollution. Let us check a few of the examples of the counties below:
- China: China is endeavoring by cleaning smog-choked skies from speedy industrial growth by sealing and abandoning coal-fired power plants.
- United Nations has been the leader in setting emission standards to improve AQI. Including the numerous efforts aim towards cleaning the air which includes changing the cooking malpractices leading to Air Pollution.
- The Paris Agreement is a bigger deal in Environment safety, many global leaders participate to sustain the life of living beings. India is a leading country in the Agreement.
- According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a decision to decline the CO2 emanation by about 20 percent by 2030 has been promised. It is estimated to reach net-zero around 2075.
- 1998 Beijing’s air pollution level was subjugated by coal-ignition and motor vehicles. Over the next 15 years, they employed a sequence of methods decisive on energy optimization, coal pollution, and emission control.
- Copenhagen precedences bikes over cars and now has an increased population of cyclists.etc.
These few examples of countries moving in the direction of environment cleanliness have worked for the betterment successfully. The turning of mother earth into grey can only be reversed when change is thoughts and practices are brought. A change that will regulate the activities to become the part of the much-needed solution rather forcing its way to the bearer of pollution. Simple and efficient living and use of prolonged intelligent techniques are now humanity’s only way out from the ruined future.