The third Child in the City International Seminar will be held in Antwerp, Belgium 20-21 May 2019. This international seminar is being organised by the Child in the City Foundation together with the great support from the city of Antwerp the event co-host and partner.
The main theme of the seminar is: Children in the sustainable city. Within this theme, six sub-themes will be further explored:
- Resilient public space: water and green
- Urban planning: renewal and densification
- Sustainable mobility
- Placemaking and co-creation
- Healthy public space
- Inclusion and participation of children and youth
Participants can also look forward to a cocktail reception and an optional seminar dinner to network with other delegates. In addition to the poster exhibitions, delegates will have the chance to experience how a child perceives and interacts with the urban environment as Arup and The Bernard van Leer Foundation (BvLF) have partnered to develop a virtual reality experience that allows users to ‘virtually’ halve in size and become 95cm tall, the height of a 3-year-old.
Keynote speakers at the event are:
- Annika Skoglund, Associate Professor at Uppsala University, Sweden and The University of Exeter, UK
- Jens Aerts an Urban Planning Specialist who currently supports UNICEF in the development and implementation of its Global Urban Strategy. Aerts is also the author of the recent UNICEF publication ‘Shaping urbanization for children, a handbook on child-responsive urban planning’.
- Leo Van Broeck, the Flemish Government Architect. He is a civil engineer and architect and co-founder of the Brussels architecture office Bogdan & Van Broeck. In his role as the Flemish Government Architect, he acts as an advisor to the entire Flemish Government.
- As well as the City of Antwerp represented by Virge Smets and Wim Seghers.
On the second and last day of the seminar there will be a panel discussion featuring Leo Van Broeck (the Flemish Government Architect), Jens Aerts (Urban planning and policy expert at UNICEF), Jinnih Beels (Alderwoman for Youth, City of Antwerp), Lia Karsten (President of the Scientific Program Committee Child in the City Foundation), Filp Smits (Director Urban planning City of Antwerp) and a special guest from Youth4Climate.