The roof is one of the most important parts of the house. When the roof needs to be replaced, choose the best material to use. There are plenty to choose from. The choice will depend on the type of material to use, the climate, and budget.
Most people would prefer to use not only durable materials but also the ones that are light on the budget and are environmentally friendly. For eco-friendly roofing materials, there are many to choose from which would still depend on the cost, material, preference and the design needed.
Different Home Roofing Materials
Choosing the material for every home roofing project is very important. Not all materials would fit every home. Consider the weather condition in the area at most times, the budget, as well as the how the appearance would look like. Cincinnati’s trustworthy commercial roofers can be of help when deciding about the roofing for your new or existing house. Here are the top 5 eco-friendly roofing materials to choose from.
- Cool Roof or White Roof. This is perfect for houses that are located in places that have warm weather most of the time. Any roof that has a light or maybe white color is considered as a “cool roof”. It has a cooling effect since it will reflect most of the sun’s rays. This will provide an additional advantage since the air conditioning unit will not be used most of the time. This means that the energy bills during summer months will be reduced.
- The Standing-Seam Metal Roof. This is long-lasting yet recyclable. It can last for up to 50 years. It is a good investment and it can be better when recycled materials with lighter colors are used. This roofing material is very safe since it is fire-resistant and best for households who want to harvest rainwater for garden use. This is perfect for houses located in snowy areas because the snow will just slide off and reduce ice dam formation.
- Green Roof. This is the most favored eco-friendly roofing option for houses in the urban areas. It can moderate the heat and cleans the air at the same time. This design acts as a rainwater buffer which adds additional insulation to the home. Above it all, the beauty of a green roof will add points to the overall appearance of the house.
- Rubber Roofing. This is currently one of the most popular roofing material. It is very durable and can last for more than 50 years. This is resistant to bad weather like storms. This is made from old steel belted tires and makes a very good roofing material.
- Corrugated Roofing. This is by far one of the most affordable eco-friendly roofing material perfect for any home. This is very durable and can stand the test of time even when faced with harsh weather conditions. It comes in different colors and styles. It has a very neat look and easy to the eye. It does not need high maintenance since its very easy to fix.
The Benefits of Eco-Friendly Roofing
Reduce Your Energy Bills. There are so many ways to save on energy bills. Choosing the right materials for roofing renovation project is one of the most effective ways. Having an eco-friendly roof is doable as long as you have the best roofing contractors like The Roofing Contractors Los Angeles for example. Since these roof types have the capability to reduce the temperature even inside your home, the energy consumption will be reduced.
Long-Lasting. Eco-friendly roofing materials are proven to be long-lasting. It can withstand the worst weather conditions and are even proven to last longer compared to other roofing materials. A Green Roof, for example, can double or triple the roof’s lifespan for up to 60 years.
Increases Solar Panel Efficiency. Solar panels are now used anywhere in the world to help reduce electricity bills. An eco-friendly roof can make the space cooler, making solar panels efficient where it can help reduce energy costs. There are no government restrictions when it comes to using solar panels, as long as the homeowner follow the proper building rules and have it installed by an expert.
Recyclable and Reusable. Metal roofing, for example, can be reused and recycled. This will reduce the materials going to waste compared to the other options. Metal roofing is known to be 100% recyclable and one of the most eco-friendly materials for roofing projects. Metal roofs are not usually found in landfills, this is because it has a longer lifespan. It will take decades before it needs any replacement.
Adds Value to Your Building. Because of the unique appearance of most roofing materials like the Green Roof or the Rubber Roof, plus the reduction of energy consumption and the increase in the lifespan of the roof, this will increase the value of the property as well. Metal roofing can also increase the resale value of the house because metal roofs are much preferred in the real estate market these days because of its longer lifespan.
There are plenty of eco-friendly roofing materials on the market today. Compare your options and select only the best. Visiting forums and online discussions can also help. Check the roofing material ratings as well as the storm ratings. It will be very helpful when finally making a choice for the best eco-friendly roofing material to use.