The EPA or Environmental Protection Agency in the USA, explains sustainable construction to be the operation of constructing the structures without the usage of toxic or natural resources and also without harming the environment. Construction procedures utilize environmentally effective and energy-efficient materials for the property’s durability while engaging in the process of construction, operation, design, renovation, construction, and deconstruction. Hence, the aforementioned process depicts the fact that while constructing a property one requires to keep the below-mentioned things in mind:
- Safeguarding of the natural beauty and environment.
- Select non-toxic raw materials.
- Reuse and reduction of resources.
- Minimal wastage.
The realization of sustainability became apparent in 1970 when the crisis of oil had been revealed. This was the period when people understood the urgency and necessity for the conservation of energy. The only way to conserve energy is to utilize them in a well-planned way and search for alternative or renewable sources. Sustainable improvements conjoin societal concerned arrangements including the economy, society, and environment.
Why indulge in sustainable construction?
There are many reasons why you should indulge in sustainable construction. Below are listed a few of them:
- Always benefitted: Sustainable construction can offer innumerable beneficial attributes including lower cost, sustainable promotion, environmental protection, an extension of the marketing.
- Environmental protection: By implementing sustainable construction, you can plan projects that revoke insignificant toxicity to the environment. One can utilize locally sourced materials and products that offer minimal water pollution and wastage.
- Current situation: As claimed by UNEP or the United Nations Environment Programme, the increase in the activities of construction and urbanization will also lead to the increase in waste which will then eventually deplete natural resources and the wildlife habitats of over 70% of the land surface from now up till we reach 2032. Also, construction utilizes more than 1⁄2 of our consumed natural resources too.
How to attain sustainable construction?
Sustainable construction can be attained in many ways. Let us have a look at them below:
- Apt strategic guide and policy: Similar to Singapore and the UK, the government of all the countries should make and initiate a national strategy to develop or improve our environment.
- Funding on education and research.
- Proper counseling for sustainable implementation.
- Changing attitude in the process of development: Again similar to the Singapore government, focusing only on “cost, time, quality”, reduces the consumption of natural resources and lessens the wastage.
- The introduction of new technology can improve performance and efficiency while reducing waste of construction materials. For instance, the utilization of 3D printing, mobile apps, cloud storage, execution of observation drones, and co-working aids in easy and effective designing and durability of the construction.
In today’s trend including New Classical Architecture, New Urbanisation, and sustainable construction promotes an unceasing attitude towards construction. This develops and values classical design, architectural tradition, and smart growth which is in opposition to the globally uniform, modernist architecture, suburban sprawl, and housing estates. Also, in recent years sustainable construction has grown into the sector of construction. The continual improvement of technology and techniques to build new property while the requirement to save our earth is now one of the most essential concerns for the government, the general public, and construction service providers.
Also Read – Environmental Sustainability for Business