There’s a lot of information in the news related to the protection of the environment and society in today’s time. With pollution being rampant in the world, the need to protect the environment becomes a must. This is a hot topic for many experts because the protection of the environment has always remained disputed. Unfortunately, environmental protection is only discussed when a political move is made in a country. EPA’s mission is of a better world by regulatory and policy changes. For the rest of the year, it remains buried until politicians are forced to visit it. The problem is, environmental protection has always been stereotyped as a government thing. What everyone fails to realize is, it is the duty of every human being to make environmentally friendly choices. Here, in this article, you will get a few ideas to protect the environment through simple ways:
- Buy Seasonal Groceries From Local Farms: It is estimated that more than 13% of greenhouse gas emissions are the result of food transport. So if you adhere to a naturally grown diet that is rich in all essential vitamins and nutrients, the chances of carbon emissions being produced from pesticides will reduce. If you incorporate this approach in routine, it will help in reducing the gas produced from vehicle transport.
- Curtail Your Water Usage: Not to forget, it requires a lot of energy to treat and pump water that is instantly available in your house. If you want to save energy that is invested, curtail your water use and despise wasting water even if it gets pumped in abundance in your locality. You will be shocked to know, more than 45 trillion gallons of water are wasted around the world every year. So it is better to be on the safe side by saving it.
- Go Solar: Do you know? An average size solar array can produce around 21k kilowatt-hours of electricity annually. This is equivalent to burning 15000 pounds of coal every year, which is not safe at all. If you burn this amount of coal, it will cause massive CO2 emissions in the environment. However, If you install a single solar panel on the rooftop, not only will you be saving more money on the electricity bills but will reduce massive pollution caused by the burning of coal in the air.
- Unplug Unused Electronics: It is common for most households to waste a lot of energy as a result of plugged electronics. Unused electronics suck a lot of energy when you don’t attend them. If you unplug all electronics during day and night time, you will witness a change of between $100 to $200 in a month. Unplugged electronics are also a sole cause behind so much energy getting produced and waster in a year. So if you adopt a habit of taking care of home appliances, the environment will automatically start benefiting from this habit of yours.
- Use Reusable Shopping Bags: Plastic bags are acknowledged as non-biodegradable because they can’t be broken down. This is why plastic causes a lot of pollution in different countries around the globe. Instead, you can use a canvas or cloth bag when going out for grocery shopping. Many countries in the world observe a strict ban on plastic bags because of the damage they cause. Reusable bags can be bought from several places online in bulk.
- Use Fluorescent Light Bulbs: These bulbs are more efficient than conventional bulbs and less costly as well. They consume 75% less energy than traditional light bulbs and are durable for a long time. Incandescent bulbs give out excessive heat, get broken easily, and aren’t durable for the long term. You can get designer fluorescent bulbs from the market at affordable prices. Read more about advantages & disadvantages of fluorescent here.
- Change The Thermostat Level: A lot of people tend to waste water heat during winter and summer. So lowering the thermostat during winter when the temperature is mild and raising just a few degrees when it’s cold can save a lot of energy. You can also save a lot of money on the bills by adhering to this tip. Although it feels bizarre to frequently revisit the main system, the results are worth the effort you invest.
- Dry Your Clothes Outside: Electric dryers are energy monsters because they still lack results after having consumed tons of watts in a year. An average electric dryer consumes 550 kilowatts of electricity units every year. This happens if you run your electric dryer for one hour every day. Regardless of where the energy comes from, it is equivalent to burning over 500 pounds of coal every year. Make use of natural sunlight and dry your clothes outside.
- Bundle Your Errands: If you know that you’ve got to do several tasks in a day, it is essential to aggregate them all and travel once to save time and money. Most people have a habit of managing their tasks carelessly. This way, they travel more and forget to do things on time. Traveling outside to do the daily errands entails the investment of energy, money, fuel, and gas emissions. So it is better to jot down the list of all outdoor tasks for the day and do them once.
- Use Clean Water: You might think of it as a bizarre method, but it can save a lot of time and money in the long run. Households where hard water is consumed, people spend more money and time on cleaning the dishes and clothes. On Penny Geeks you can find a list of top-notch water softeners for your house. Once you install a water softener, not only will you be able to stay healthy but will also get rid of the extra cleaning to get things right.
- Don’t Litter the Floor: When you’re going out on a picnic with family, it is essential to carry multiple bags for stuffing the wrappers and leftovers. Despise littering the streets and public areas even if you can’t spot a dustbin nearby. In some countries, there is a hefty penalty on people who throw garbage in public. Not only does it cause pollution, but it entails the effort of state vehicles and other stuff to get removed. So it is better to keep the environment clean.
Related: What is environmental protection?