Exams are an important part of education and also the main source of stress and anxiety for many students. In order to avoid crippling anxiety during examination season and from these complex evaluations, it is necessary to start learning the syllabus with a clear mind and an effective understanding to deal with stressful situations of studies more broadly. In many instances, examination anxiety is all over the head, and one needs to understand that mental peace and discipline is important to tackle the examinations easily to succeed. Here are some important ways to make short notes or flashcards for a quick revision before the examinations.
- Use of Different Colours: To fight boredom during studies and concentrating more on your memory. Try writing notes with colourful pens to your flashcards. One can even use write-in highlighters, fine tipped pens, and markers. Underline the important dates, abbreviations, one-word definitions and other useful information with colour or assign different colours to particular card topics or themes to make them look easier and easy to sort them out.
- Laminate Your Cards: Go to a Xerox shop and get your cards laminated especially to protect them from water if you want to use them for a long period of time and carry them around. Or, get small plastic sleeves to cover up your note and flash cards, at a stationary supply store.
- Take Help of Flashcard Creation App: There are numerous study applications available on the internet which can assist you to create and use notes and flashcards for studying. There are many apps like Brainscape, Byjus, iStudious etc.
- Write With a Pencil: If you love to write with a pencil, its benefit is that you can modify your notes whenever you want and as long you continue to study. A pencil will also not fade away on the paper or note card. If you choose a pen make sure to use a light inked pen.
- Draw Picture Flashcards: There is no such rule that flash cards must contain only notes or text. For fast learners, drawing a quick diagram on the card might prove to be beneficial. Keep the diagram fairly visible and make it good looking. Labeling the important parts of the image and writing short notes of it at the back of the card will surely help you in studies.
Flashcards are for not summarising, people use flashcards improperly. They should be proved in a proper way to test your brain and amount of knowledge and not just to condense your syllabus. People write irrelevant bullet points on notes and they take them around to reread it. It is a passive way of learning and does not benefit, it is of no economical use and simply wastes your crucial time of revision. There are some important values in summarising your syllabus. Creating questions and their solutions in own simple words help you to process the data and help to build connections to your brain. Summarising these queries requires you to make out the important points and choose the keys to information.
Related: How to Write in Academic Style
Keep The Text Brief and Simple
Stick with short sentences instead of full phrases. Use abbreviations if possible for the important words wherever possible. In future, if you want to recap the flashcards quickly then make sure that the most significant notes are available on the card. The easy approaches of picking the notes will kick-start the faster learning process.
One flashcard with a single idea. Your goal should not be to fill up the notes and flashcards with irrelevant points to cover up the most of the space. The most significant notes include one difficult question followed by its short answer (or a single term and its definition). Don’t occupy all your brain to memorize a complex and difficult solution. It’s easy for your mind to execute simple data to split up the longer questions into small and the simple parts. If you will write all irreverent information then you will end up having numerous of notes cards, this will create a lot of confusion and will put a lot of stress, your learning capability will become less effective this way.
You can only memorize a part of a wordy solution so that could trick your brain that you understand all of it. Or you could end up wasting precious time revising long questions over and over again, therefore remember all the parts of answer perfectly. Splitting up the answer in parts will allow you to learn each thing separately at a much greater speed and will improve your memory retention.
Flashcards are surely a beneficial revision tool but one must not ignore their disadvantages too. They help you to allow and make you memorize the answers to simple questions but they won’t allow you to tackle information in real situations. One needs to understand it deeply or in a much wider context and they may prove beneficial in exam time.
Flashcards definitely should be a part of the revision but one needs to add other formulas too like:
- Mind maps can make you understand all than E- key, details, and ideas of a difficult topic.
- For testing the knowledge of broader and deeper ideas, Quizzes can help you a lot.
- Practicing sample exam questions which help to apply knowledge in a real situation.
One needs to manage time wisely. The motive of clearing the exam in last time will surely lead to stress. One should remember that, in the hustle full future, doing poorly in an exam will not create an impact. People often estimate how things will go bad and how badly they will make us feel haunted. Note that in mind, if you find getting stressed or anxiety attacks you in the middle of the examination. It is definitely not the end of the world for you if you do badly. Life will still go on beautifully and will give you more chances to improve yourself so that you can work harder for the next time.