Learning through an online way can seem daunting, especially if students are looking for exposure to thoughts and ideologies from their peers and professors. But this course is putting its best front forward to make online distance learning as interactive as possible. Post Graduate Diploma in Urban Planning and Development (PGDUPDL) falls under the School of Extension and Development Studies in IGNOU. The course is offered through Online Distance Learning mode. It aims at promoting professional development and capacity building in the area of Urban Planning and Development.
About Indira Gandhi National Open University:
An Act of Parliament established IGNOU in 1985. It is known for offering high-quality teaching through the Open and Distance Learning mode. It started with two academic programs in 1987 with around 4200 students and now has more than 3 million students in India and other countries through 21 Schools of Studies and 67 Regional Centres, approximately 2,000 Learner Support Centres, and 20 overseas institutions.
The University offers about 200 certificate, diploma, degree, and doctoral programs, with a strength of nearly 250 faculty members and 230 academic staff at the headquarters and regional centres and over 35,000 academic counsellors from conventional institutions of higher learning, professional organizations, and industry among others.
A brief about the course Post Graduate Diploma in Urban planning and Development:
India is the 2nd most extensive urban system globally, with more than 30 percent of the urban population. The accelerating rate of Urbanization has resulted in many issues such as transportation, poverty, informal housing, slums, and unemployment. There is less emphasis on urban development issues in the academic curriculum at the graduation and post-graduation levels. This course has the amalgamation of theory and practical knowledge in a self instructive manner, which can help students gain understanding.
Objectives of the Program:
- To allow students to deepen their knowledge and understanding of urban development.
- To help the working urban development professionals on various theoretical and practical aspects of urban planning and development and enhance their knowledge.
- Develop professional knowledge and skills- formulation, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of urban development areas.
Key points about the program:
- It is offered in both January and July sessions of every year throughout the country through the established network of IGNOU Regional Centres.
- The Minimum Duration to complete the program is 1 Year, and the maximum Duration is 3 Years. The candidate can take the exam in any session within three years.
- Fees for the course is Rs. 6,000.
- You can opt for e-books or printed ones. The study material arrives at your registered address.
- The medium of instruction of the program is English and Hindi.
- There is a choice between two electives- project work or a theoretical one.
Criteria for Admission:
- There is no age bar for admission to the course.
- Graduates from any discipline are welcome to join the course.
- The student can complete the Admission procedure online.
Evaluation to complete the Diploma:
- Term-end Examination
- Assignments of each course
- Project Work (If opted)
The Learning Support by IGNOU:
The University follows a multi-media method for learning. It is mainly through study material, audio-video programs, assignments, interactive counseling sessions, optional project work, teleconferencing, and other digital-age methods of communication.
- Study Material:
The print material is written in a self-instructional style. It is in the form of booklets prepared for theory courses and project work of the curriculum. They have a specific code number assigned to them.
The courses includes:
- MEDS-041 Introduction to Urban Development
- MEDS-042 Issues and Challenges in Urban Planning and Development
- MEDS-043 Dynamics of Urban Planning and Development
- MEDS-044 Monitoring and Evaluation of Projects and Programs
- MEDSE-046 Development: Issues and Perspectives ( Elective)
- MEDSP-045 Project Work (Elective)
- Audio-video Method:
The study material package also contains audio-video programs produced by the university to understand better the course material given to the student. These programs usually are around half an hour. The video programs are also telecast on Gyan Darshan, the National Network and enrichment channel of Doordarshan. Also, the audio programs, when produced, are broadcast by Gyan Vani and selected stations of All India Radio.
At the year-end, the student has to complete assignments. The questions for each course are provided. Each course may have four to five blocks, and each block may have around three to five units. Many other guidelines need to be followed while preparing the assignments. It should be handwritten and submitted to the study center allotted within the deadline.
- Counseling Sessions
Up to six counseling sessions per course are held at the Study Centres as per the schedule. They are mostly held on weekends.
- Project Work
The project work MEDSP-045 and theory course ‘MEDSE- 046 are elective courses. Students can opt for either of these as an elective course to fulfill the requirements of the PGDUPDL. There is a handbook on Project Work that provides self-orientation and self-training for doing the project work. All the project proposals should be submitted to the School directly via mail or in person. The student can contact the faculty to become their supervisor also.
Also Read: Urban Planning Colleges in India
Advantage and Disadvantage of this course:
- This course will serve those who are genuinely curious about Urban planning and want to scratch the surface a little bit before joining the master’s program.
- It can help urban enthusiasts look for ways to broaden their knowledge horizon with the course material.
- Since it is online learning, it is self-paced. You can learn while working or pursuing any other course as well.
- It offers a lot of flexibility. The students can do everything online; only exams and submissions have to be done in person.
- Online distance learning is an excellent opportunity to learn and get a certification of your learning from a well-reputed institute. But, since urban planning requires a lot of interaction and understanding by the professors, it cannot be termed as extensive in that genre.
- You cannot expect a lot of job offers after the completion of the course since it’s a diploma program and that too distance learning. It is not recognized by the ITPI as well. The chances of securing a good-paying job with only a diploma are limited.
Other programs in the School of Extension and Development Studies:
- Master of Arts in Development Studies (MADVS)
PG and Advance Diploma
- PG Diploma in Animal Welfare (PGDAW)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Development Studies (PGDDVS)
- PG Diploma in Corporate Social Responsibility (PGDCSR)
- Diploma in Value Education (DPVE)
- Certificate Program In Value Education (CPVE)